Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Part 6 of "Your Ex has Problems Letting Go" for your reading pleasure:

Michael leaned closer to Sarah, seemingly to give her an answer to her unasked question, when the waiter arrived with their order. He leaned back with an exasperated sigh. Sarah was looking at him expectantly but her answer was going to have to wait until the waiter left. The waiter asked them if there was anything else he could get them and they both shook their heads. Michael cleared his throat. "Sarah, I know we have gotten close over the last year. With the loss of Eve, it is only to be expected, but I am just not ready yet. I'm really not sure when I will be ready to get involved with anyone again. You are right, though, we do need to talk." He looked longingly out the window, like he would much rather be outside than in here answering unasked questions. "There's something you need to know. Sarah, Eve and I were arguing about you the night of the accident. She thought we were having an affair. She wouldn't listen to me when I told her that you and were just friends and that you were trying to help me pick the perfect present." He sighed as he sat back heavily into the booth, looking down at his plate of food. He felt that a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders having told Sarah his deep, dark secret.
Sarah sat back, looking stunned by Michael's announcement. She hadn't thought that Eve was that kind of girl, to be jealous over someone else spending time with her man. When the ramifications sunk in, Sarah began to laugh. Her laugh seemed to shock Michael but he wouldn't move closer to her. When she finally caught her breath, she apologized to him, "I'm so sorry, Michael. I don't mean to laugh but Eve didn't strike me as the type of woman who was so insecure in herself and her relationship that she would be jealous over her man spending time with her best friend. I'm just very surprised to find that she was very much human and not so much the goddess everyone treated her to be." Michael nodded once while Sarah finished, "I said I would wait for you to be ready, Michael, and I meant it. Now let's just enjoy our meal." She tucked into her fish, watching to see if Michael would follow her lead.

She was watching the drama unfold, outside the window by Sarah and Michael's table. She was getting rather pissed that they seemed to be so cozy, even now. Her companion placed his hand on her arm, halting her movement from the shadows. "It is best for you to remain hidden for now, Eve. You must not make this decision for either of them. I assume you were planning on giving the gift to both your best friend and your boyfriend?"

© DJ Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment