Thursday, September 11, 2014

Michael continued to stare out the window in shock. He could hear Sarah speaking to him but it seemed that she was talking from inside a well. He was squinting so hard against the glare of the lights in the windows to see if it was Eve, that he didn't notice that he was leaning into the window. Not until his nose touched the cold glass. He leapt to his feet, startling Sarah as well as the rest of the patrons, saying something about needing to check something out in the alley across the street.
Sarah apologized to the servers while leaving some money on the table to cover their meal as she leapt to her own feet to follow Michael outside. Running to catch him she shouted, "What the holy hell is going on with you, Michael? I don't mind paying for dinner but I DO mind you taking off and leaving me hanging like this!" Michael skid to a halt at the mouth of the alley and turned back to Sarah. "I saw Eve while sitting in the restaurant!" Sarah shook her head sadly as she approached him slowly. "It was her, Sarah! I know it!" "We buried her body, Michael. Are you saying that Eve decided to 'wake' up and walk away from her coffin and her burial?" Michael shook his head violently while trying to shake Sarah's hand off his arm so that he could go into the alley to look for Eve. "I don't know what I'm saying, Sarah. All I know is that I saw Eve and now I am going to go into this alley, with or without you, and make sure it either was or wasn't her." He looked at her pleadingly until she sighed and agreed.

Eve could hear them arguing at the mouth of the alley but she couldn't hear every word. She stepped towards their voices, only to be halted by her companion. "Let them come to us, Eve. It won't be long now that you have shown yourself." Shaking his head, he drug her back into the shadows with him, muttering under his breath, "I will never understand today's youth and their impatience."

© DJ Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment